Sunday, March 8, 2009

#42 Wash in Cold (or at least not hot)

I used to think that my clothing, and particularly my whites, would not get clean unless I washed in hot water.  Not true!  I have switched to using cold or warm to wash, and always cold to rinse.   I notice no difference in the way my clothes wash.  And I'm not using any special cold water detergent.   I found this great website that has charts of what the costs are per load at different temps.  I know there is a lot of variation, but it will give you an idea of how much the temperature affects the cost.  It also mentions on this website that "washing your clothes in hot water instead of cold water for a year uses more electricity that leaving your refridgerator door open for a year 24 hours a day!"

Pros: Use less electricity, therefore spend less money and reduce carbon emissions.   Less shrinkage of your clothing.

Cons: I can't think of any.

No comments: