Saturday, November 21, 2009

#62 A use for the old holies.

Honestly I have never darned a sock in my life, but that doesn't mean that my old holey socks are going in the trash! I have done a huge amount of wood refinishing this year, and I love to use gel stains, even though they can be really messy. I've found that the best application tool is a sponge brush, and the best "wipe-off" tool is an old sock. It's better than wasting a rag that you would then have to throw away. This vanity is one of my recent projects. The picture isn't great-- but when we bought it it was a natural wood color with not much of a finish on it. Pros: A great use for an item that is trash. Cheap, and at my house, plentiful.

Cons: You still have to throw them away, and I try to do it in an empty stain can with the lid shut.
p.s. I've also used old socks for wax buffing my countertops.

1 comment:

NW Varneys said...

Can I just sit and learn from you sometime (on the refinishing projects, that is.) I'm a little scared to just do it on my own...I need some handholding. :)

And I do read and love this blog...I am just way behind on blogs in general!